Monday, March 9, 2015

Obedience Brings Blessings - 9/1/14

This week has been utterly amazing.

My new companion, Elder Toscano, comes from Mesquite, NV, and is one of the coolest kids I've ever met. Yeah, he's cool by the world's definition too, but what really sets him apart is his diligence and determination to follow the will of the Lord. I have never met a guy so strong in the faith and willing to sacrifice anything and everything for the will of the Father. Elder Toscano is an example to me, and I've seen a plethora (that's right, this is so good that I used the word "plethora") of blessings come about in our little time together.
So we're working hard to become exactly obedient to the commandments of the Lord, as well as the rules of the missionary manuals. I've noticed an increase in my personal receptiveness to the Spirit, and that the promptings come much more frequently. Elder Toscano and I blocked-out a significant amount of time for contacting and finding new investigators this week, and as a result of our prayers and efforts, we managed to teach 11 lessons to various individuals, some of which turned into new investigators off-the-bat, and others just potential investigators.
I know with all my heart that these blessings have come about as a result of our efforts to stay obedient and dedicated.
At one moment early in our companionship, Elder Toscano asked me "Elder, how dedicated are you to the Lord?" After which, he shared with me a talk by Tad R. Callister concerning "Consecrated Missionaries," what they are and how to become one. I was utterly shocked. I realized very quickly that I'm hesitant to change who I am. If I want to become the missionary that the Lord would wish, I need to leave Nick Wheatley in Las Vegas and become Elder Wheatley here in France.
The Savior explained this measure of sacrifice well when a disciple assured him that he would "follow (Him)" after he went home to his house to take of a few things. Christ said:

"No man, having put his hand to the plough, and looking back, is fit for the kingdom of God."
(Luke 9:62)
These past two weeks have been the best of my mission. I've loved feeling the Lord's Spirit abundantly. It is my prayer that I can keep this dedication to the Lord for the rest of the mission, and after as well.
Love you all dearly!

Elder Wheatley

No comments :

Post a Comment