Monday, March 9, 2015

♫ I believe in Miracles!!! ♫ - 9/8/14

This week was off da hizappp!
So... get this, last Monday night, a family in our branch took us to do a joint family home evening with some friends that weren't members (I love it when families actively have family home evenings), Elder Toscano and I were like "YEAH!" and we went with them. We get to this family's home that's in our sector, knock on the door, and meet the Souisson family. This Guadalupian family of six is great! They were super nice, loved our message, fed us a cake, and set-up another rendezvous. This picture finely illustrates the swagged-out joys of our visit...


So yeah, it was great, and we gained four new amis (investigators) out of it (two of the children are too young to be considered amis).
A couple days later, the Paris and Lyon missions designated a day for the two missions to find 1000 new amis. Part of the plan was for every companionship to pray for inspiration every thirty minutes, and spend as much time contacting as possible. I'm not lying when I tell you that we saw some crazy miracles. Within two hours of contacting, we found 4 new amis and taught 5 lessons! That's unheard of! To top it off, the Spirit was so strong that I looked over and noticed the transfiguration of Elder Toscano taking place!!

​Okay, I'm just kidding, Elder Toscano wasn't really transfigured (Nikon super-camera edits), but this was really a spiritual day.
So, a couple things really stood out to me this week. I was reading in James chapter 2 and it started talking about how we shouldn't judge people based on their economic backgrounds:

My brethren, have not the faith of our Lord Jesus Christthe Lord of glory, with respect ofpersons.
 2 For if there come unto your assembly a man with a gold ring, in goodly apparel, and therecome in also a poor man in vile raiment;
 3 And ye have respect to him that weareth the gay clothing, and say unto him, Sit thou here ina good place; and say to the poor, Stand thou there, or sit here under my footstool:
 4 Are ye not then partial in yourselves, and are become judges of evil thoughts?
 5 Hearken, my beloved brethren, Hath not God chosen the poor of this world rich in faith, andheirs of the kingdom which he hath promised to them that love him?
 6 But ye have despised the poor. Do not rich men oppress you, and draw you before thejudgment seats?
 7 Do not they blaspheme that worthy name by the which ye are called?
When I read this, I realized Dear Gandhi! They're right! 
Throughout the scriptures, civilizations frequently experience a "pride cycle" where they listen to the Lord's commandments, obey, become prosperous, enjoy prosperity, begin to grow prideful, begin to forget God and credit themselves, reject the prophets and word of God, apostasy takes place, and they eventually slump back into poverty. This is just as true today as it was 2000 years ago! As Elder Toscano and I contact individuals in France, the poor and hopeful are ALWAYS quicker to open their ears to our message than the rich and selfish. 
The thing that struck me the most about this thought is that I am just as guilty. I have often sought riches before God, and I've planned my life around my future annual income. This should not be the case, not at all. "For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also." If I want my heart to stay with God, I guess it means that I better start treasuring Him. Keep your priorities straight, and love the Lord with all your heart, might, mind, and strength.
Love you all a ton!
Elder Wheatley

No comments :

Post a Comment