Monday, March 9, 2015

Haitian Babies!! Language Miracles. - 7/28/14

Bonjour à tous!
So this week was off the heezy. It was pretty tough, but E. Utahia and I saw some really cool stuff happen.
We had Samedi Sport again this Saturday, and I had a brief moment that I loved so much. So, usually my soccer team has the youngest players... like, the ones who haven't been baptized yet. We don't always win, but I wouldn't have it any other way. There was a moment when my Haitian "Tigres" were tied 4-4, and a little 5 year-old girl on the team named Mylise called a team huddle. She goes "Give me the ball, and Elder Weetlee, you push the other kids so I can score a goal." I couldn't hold it in as Owen, also five years old, argued "No no no... so this is how we're going to win. I'm going to run, and you will pass me the ball. I will score a goal, and we will win!"
It was one of those little moments where I can sit back and love my life. I'm so happy I can finally speak and comprehend enough French that I can sit-in on these little conversations. They make my life.

Speaking of the language, two months ago, I set a goal. I decided that I wanted to be "fluent" in the language by May 27th, exactly two months after my arrival date in France. I set loads of little goals to lead-up to that, and I prayed like mad. I wanted to be fluent fast. If you've read my emails, you know very well how stressed I was with the language. There were many weeks where I saw no apparent progress, and I was very discouraged. But the Lord is merciful.
Yesterday, I actually totally forgot that it was my two month mark. We were busy all day, so I didn't really think about much of anything. I was assigned to give a ten minute talk in church, and thought "hey, no sweat." I prepped my talk and was ready to go. There were three speakers assigned, and I was the middle child. As the service started, the bishop noticed that our third speaker wasn't present so I became the final speaker. I checked my watch and realized I had a solid twenty minutes all to myself. At first I was anxious, but I just got this calm feeling, and I gave my talk. The Lord helped me fill all the time! Word after word just came, and scripture references popped in my head. I felt the Spirit so strongly.
Later, a new member to our branch was talking to me. We talked for a solid 10 minutes, no sweat! At one point he asked how long I've been out, and when I responded "exactly two months today," I remembered my goal! I've been so blessed in the language! The Lord has aided my comprehension and supplemented my vocabulary. He taught me a language in two meager months.
I've learned so much concerning the power of prayer since I arrived. Even as a missionary, it's easy to forget the incredible power of prayer. It's easy to put faith in ourselves and our preparations and trust to ourselves to get stuff done. Never forget the power of prayer. Prayers humble us, prayers give us hope, and prayers open the door to revelation. My greatest mission experiences have come about due to prayer, and I know that I would not be anywhere close to where I am currently in the language, if prayer was not a prominent aspect. "No man is taller than when he is on his knees."
I love you all! Thank you for the correspondance!
Elder Wheatley
Eiffel tower selfie! Disregard my civilian clothing! It's allowed if you're on your way to a sport or service event. We were heading to a missionary soccer match.
So, we started playing soccer at a little terrain next to the eiffel tower, when ten little French kids showed up, asked to play, and destroyed us! This kid was a monster!
Yeah. French gangsters know what's up.
We were sad to say goodbye to the Acclofrand family this week. They're moving to the South of France. They so kind, and Elder Utahia and I love them dearly. Many tears were shed at their parting.

No comments :

Post a Comment