Monday, March 9, 2015

Muslim to Mormon 6/30/14

Allo!
This past week has been stellar! More progress with the language and the teaching skills has been made, and I continue to see little miracles everyday!
In my apartment we have four missionaries, my trainer and I, and another companionship. The other night we started talking about miracles that we've seen on the mission, and I would like to share what was probably one of the coolest stories I've every heard.
Muslaba
So about ten months ago, my friend, Elder Alexander (from Vegas too), received a phone call from a heavy-Arabic-accented man named Muslaba. Muslaba wanted to take the lessons from the missionaries. He was born and raised Muslim in Pakistan, and found the church through a secret Christian society in Israel that he had been attending (you get killed for attending stuff like that over there). Upon learning more about the church, he packed his bags for France where he could work and take the lessons at the same time. Elder Alexander received his referral.
Muslaba was taught the lessons, felt the Spirit from the Book of Mormon, and knew that he needed to make changes in his life; he knew that he needed be baptized. However, our mission is apprehensive about baptizing Muslims because there are often serious consequences. Permission from the mission president is even necessary before we can begin teaching Muslims, it's so serious. Muslaba met with the mission president, assured him that he knew the consequences in Pakistan (death), but he wanted to go through with it anyway. After many appeals, the mission president consented and Muslaba was baptized.
The service was very private. Few were invited, and no photos were allowed to be taken. Word could not get out. Muslaba was so happy, and Elder Alexander talked about how he just seemed to glow during the service. You could see the Spirit working on him after the confirmation. Sure enough, however, Pakistan found out and a death sentance was issued. Muslaba was forced to leave everything: his home, family, friends, items, everything, to live in France permanantly; he could not return home. Yet he was okay with that. He knew the church was true.
Member Work
I was so touched by this story. My calling is to invite others to come unto Christ by helping them receive the restored Gospel, and becuase of that, I get to witness people commit to follow Christ and be better on the daily! I get to feel the Spirit work wonders within me at the same time!
I've been thinking a lot about what I'm going to do after this mission. Will I just drop my responsibilities to share the word with others for a job and college, or will I find a way to continue being a disciple of Christ, and continue to see these miracles. I want to be the latter. The members have such a great influence on missionary work. Sylvain was baptized because he attended a Family Home Evening by the members! Member work is essential to missionary success.
I've failed to mention that my branch only has 30 people in it. IT'S TINY! Yet, there have been seven baptisms this year alone... and every single one was a member referral. Go and invite your friends. We know that the church is true from our own testimonies, but people like Muslaba are great examples of how much people are willing to give up for the Lord. Don't deny these blessings to anybody. Open your mouth.
Love ya!
Elder Wheatley
So get this... The girl on the right... THAT'S MY MTC INSTRUCTOR! And get this, the lady on her left was a girl she helped baptize while she was on her mission! AND GET THIS! She's now inactive, but because Sister Waldron and I were there, she'll be back at church in no time! What a blessing!

No comments :

Post a Comment