Monday, February 8, 2016

"Judge not that ye be not Judged" - 7/6/15

Hi everyone!

So first off, word of respect to Elder Packer for living a very long life of apostolic duty. That's definitely no easy job, and he rocked it! He will be missed.

Second, this week was great! The Lord blessed us in so many ways and helped our sector make leaps and bounds. Our branch was so blessed as several investigators came to church, filling the room with a new energy! Members were so excited to see new faces, and as it was fast and testimony meeting, they didn't hesitate to announce it!

Didier

One ami who came has been the subject of much reflection recently. Let me tell you about Didier. A while back during the last transfer, my companion and I received a text message from a contact in our phone named "Crazy Didier, DONT RESPOND". I asked my companion about him, and he said that he was "crazy" and not to worry about him. I'm ashamed to say that I followed that advice.

A few weeks later, I got another text from him. He was asking for us to come over and pray with him! This guy seemed like a dream, so I asked again. Upon digging, I found out that my comp had never met Didier, and had no idea why he was "crazy". I then called all the missionaries who had served in Liege over the past year, and all of them said that they had never met him, and just followed the advice... so guess what we did -- WE RESPONDED! 

At the beginning of this transfer, we made a long voyage to this man's house to meet him for the first time. My brothers and sisters, I was so humbled by this experience. Here was a Belge man who believed strongly in God, and whose life was so torn by certain addictions that had scarred his life. He had the strongest desire to change everything. Upon further digging, we learned that he had only ever once met the missionaries years before while he was sick in a hospital. Didier definitely has some peculiarities, but I would never go to say that he's "crazy", but two missionaries saw it right to utterly stop his spiritual progression for a number of years with one black-listing word.

Didier came to church for the first time yesterday, and he was amazed by the Spirit present. He loved the doctrine and the message, and the moment after church was over, we took him into a side room, and he told us that he wanted to be baptized. We told him that he'd have to make some changed to his life, but with the Lord's help, he could absolutely make it. He now has a date for the 23rd of August.

This experience has really made me think. Do you remember in John chapter 8 when Christ said "He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone"? Who are we to be casting verbal "stones" at others? Calling others weird, or crazy, or peculiar, and essentially limiting their potential and capabilites until who knows when? I am sad to say that I have often let such corrupt communication leave my mouth, for which I need to repent. But let this be a moment to remember to speak kind words to each other and about each other.

I love you all, and I encourage you to treat others as Christ would treat others, or that is, to love others as you love yourself,

Elder Wheatley

Photos taken with my IPAD:

- That would have to be Elder Orton and myself at a holocaust prison


- Check this sweet castle that we went to. I don't remember what it's called as the Redds, a missionary couple, took us there but it was sweet!


- Panorama of this beautiful ville called Huy close to Liège


- Here's another shot of the castle


- And another!

No comments :

Post a Comment