Monday, February 8, 2016

Count Your Many Blessings 4/13/15




Howdy Friends and Family!
First off, I gotta give a shoutout to my newest niece, Riley! Way to go Clarissa! Who's an uncle? This guy!
And second off, today I just wanted to give you all a quick little message on an experience that really touched me recently.
So get this, there's a lady in our ward who lives suuuuper far from the church. She also happens to be 76 years old and she can't come to church unless she gets a ride. Seeing how a ward is pretty small, and the people in the ward with cars is even smaller, Ernesta hasn't been to church in a solid 8 years. Voila Ernesta and her boy Bernard: (I promise my hair isn't usually like this. I forgot my umbrella....)

That being said, Elder Stanford and I decided to ask the bishop if we could take the sacrament to Ernesta. The bishop affirmed, and we started off on our journey to see Ernesta and Bernard last Sunday after church. While at her home, we had a brief sacrament meeting and administered the sacrament to her. As we did so, the most beautiful, heart-touching spirit came into the room. Upon talking afterwards, Ernesta told us that it was the first time someone had brought her the sacrament in 8 years.
My friends, the sacrament presents the sacred opportunity to renew one's baptismal ordonnance and be washed clean once again. This is something that should be denied to no unworthy man or woman. I must say that I was very shaken when I learned that no priesthood member has visited her in eight years with this sacred task, but I was even more shaken when I remembered all those lazy days before my mission when I failed to fulfill my duties.

Don't deprive your neighbors of their blessings. Go out and do your home teaching and visiting teaching, and ask your bishop who in your ward could use a visit or service. We are a church of brothers and sisters, and we should show it by actions and our love for one another. I was so blessed to feel the sweet spirit that comes from service, and I tell you that if you're searching for more peace, perhaps start by helping others. I think the fifth verse of A Poor Wayfaring Man of Grief explains this concept better than I ever could:

Stript, wounded, beaten nigh to death,
I found him by the highway side.
I roused his pulse, brought back his breath,
Revived his spirit, and supplied
Wine, oil, refreshment--he was healed.
I had myself a wound concealed,
But from that hour forgot the smart,
And peace bound up my broken heart.
Love you all!
Go do good things!
Elder Wheatley

- Tom Ka Gai!

No comments :

Post a Comment